3M Flexible CIGS Thin-Film Solar on Plastic Soon to be Released [Video]
3M showcases flexible CIGS thin-film at Solar Power International
Some information about the product:
- 3M is currently working with Solar Power and numerous other CIGS manufacturers to produce total encapsulating packages to enable durable flexible CIGS thin-film photovoltaics.
- 3M is currently focused on the flexible front-side barrier, which the company says has been a challenging aspect. The barrier has to be optically clear, weatherable, and have a low moisture vapor transmission rate (MVTR).
- The flexible CIGS thin-film product is made from a floor polymer, so that it is very weatherable and scratch resistant.
- In terms of installation cost, 3M's CIGS thin-film can be easily integrated into other building materials to lower labor cost.
- Why CIGS thin-film as opposed to another thin-film technology? CIGS tends to have higher efficiencies, usually 10% and above.
Although their CIGS thin-film product is not yet on the market, 3M is giving out prototype samples, and you should contact the company if you are interested.